March Summary














Another month has flown by. Time flies when you're watching movies all the time, I guess.
As mentioned in the previous month's summary, I will break down this month's movies, alphabetically, according to genre and then give my take for the best and worst of each genre.

ACTION/ADVENTURE:
Oz the Great and Powerful
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hunger Games

Best: ?
Worst: It's ironic that three blockbusters that should have all been great were all fairly dismal. If I had to pick the best out of this unfortunate threesome it would have to be "The Hunger Games". I can't in good conscience place it as "The Best".

COMEDY:
Adaptation
Airplane!
Little Miss Sunshine
Manhattan
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Safety Not Guaranteed
Seven Psychopaths
Shakespeare in Love
The Birdcage

Best: I was pleasantly surprised that this batch of comedies were pretty solid. "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Shakespeare in Love" are the best but mention must be made of "The Birdcage" and "Seven Psychopaths"
Worst: "Adaptation" is pretty frustrating but "Manhattan" gives it a run for its money.

CLASSICS:
Bonnie and Clyde
M
Mutiny on the Bounty
Rebecca
Seven Samurai
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Silence of the Lambs
Wings

Best: This is hard, I have to say that the movie that I enjoyed the most was "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans".
Worst: "Seven Samurai", absolutely...don't waste your time with this saga.

DRAMA:
Argo
Big Fish
Capote
Cloud Atlas
Crash
Doubt
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Glengarry Glen Ross
Les Misérables (2012)
My Left Foot
The Beaver
The King's Speech
The Tree of Life
The Trip to Bountiful
Traffic

Best: "Doubt" and "The Beaver" really nail this category. They are both some of my favorites and they deliver so very well. Also I have to mention that I really loved "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" and don't understand what's the big deal with the movie...oh well.
Worst: This is a shockingly strong group of dramas, but for me the weakest was "My Left Foot"

FOREIGN:
A Separation
Amélie
La Vie en Rose
Rust and Bone

Best: "A Separation" gives an eye to the finer details in life and crafts an entirely unique and artistic film.
Worst: Although it was eagerly anticipated, "Rust and Bone" didn't come through the way that I wanted it to.

SCIENCE FICTION:
Limitless
Moon
Prometheus

Best: "Prometheus" was a film that I really, really liked so I have to pick that.
Worst: "Limitless"...I wasn't sure where to put this movie and it sort of fell into the science fiction category by happenstance and necessity.

THRILLER:
Fatal Attraction
Shutter Island

Best: "Fatal Attraction"...two words—"Glenn" "Close"
Worst: "Shutter Island"

WAR:
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

Best: By far leaps and bounds, "The Thin Red Line" blows everything else out of the water. It was a staggering film and possibly the best I've ever seen.
Worst: "Saving Private Ryan" could have been really great if it had just stuck to the war and left the sappy-ness on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment