My Oscar Predictions

I'm a glutton for awards shows. I'm not exactly sure why but I love people getting little golden statues for work that they got paid a lot for. What's wrong with that?
I think the reason that I like awards shows so much is exemplified in this year. You never know what's going to happen. There are only a few awards that are set in stone, but let's take a closer look:

BEST PICTURE:

Nominees: Argo, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Django Unchained

My Guess: I'm almost positive that this is going to "Argo". Even though the Academy excluded Ben Affleck from the Best Directors category, this film seems set to take home the award. If this isn't the one it seems like "Lincoln" or "Life of Pi" would be next, but (hopefully) it could go to "Beasts of the Southern Wild" or "Amour" which are both dark horses.

BEST ACTOR:

Nominees: Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman, Bradley Cooper, Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington 

My Guess: No question: If this doesn't go to Daniel Day-Lewis, I will be shocked!

BEST ACTRESS:

Nominees: Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Quvenzhane Wallis, Emmanuelle Riva, Naomi Watts

My Guess: Jennifer Lawrence seems like the most possible win. She won the SAG. If she has any competition it will come from Chastain. Though in my heart, I hope that Wallis wins. The only person who seems like they're out of the running completely is Naomi Watts

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Nominees: Tommy Lee Jones, Christoph Waltz, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robert de Niro, Alan Arkin

My Guess: It seems like this is one of the awards that could really be a toss-up. I'm going for Christoph Waltz for "Django Unchained" even though it will probably go to Tommy Lee Jones for "Lincoln". I think that Waltz has a shot and deserves it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Nominees: Amy Adams, Sally Field, Anne Hathaway, Helen Hunt, Jacki Weaver

My Guess: I'm not sure how Jacki Weaver managed to sneak onto this list, I find that she was the weakest part of "Silver Linings Playbook". But like Best Actor, this seems set in stone—Anne Hathaway for "Les Miserables".

BEST DIRECTOR:

Nominees: Behn Zeitlin, Steven Spielberg, David O. Russell, Ang Lee, Michael Haneke

My Guess: After the omission of Ben Affleck it seems like the way is clear for Spielberg to win his third Oscar for directing. But I'm not sure that this will happen. I hope that it will go to Zeitlin, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "Beasts of the Southern Wild". Really it could go to any of these nominees but my pick is Ang Lee for "Life of Pi"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Nonminees: Amour, Django Unchained, Flight, Moonrise Kingdom, Zero Dark Thirty

My Guess: Although I would like it to go to Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola for "Moonrise Kingdom", my guess is split down the middle with "Amour" and "Django Unchained". Alas, I have to pick one. My guess is for Quentin Tarantino for "Django Unchained". He seems to be raking in the awards for his screenplay, most recently the SAG.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Nominees: Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook

My Guess: Although Tony Kushner seemed like he had it in the bag for "Lincoln" the controversy surrounding his script may have pushed him out of the running. He lied about some of the facts that were easy to research and then finally admitted his manipulation of the facts for drama's sake. So for that I guess David O. Russell for "Silver Linings Playbook".

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

Nominees: "Suddenly" from Les Miserables, "Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi, "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted, "Before My Time" from Chasing Ice, "Skyfall" from Skyfall

My Guess: If Adele doesn't win, the world will end. This seems like one of the easiest Oscars to predict

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

Nominees: Dario Marianelli for Anna Karenina, Alexandre Desplat for Argo, Mychael Danna for Life of Pi, John Williams for Lincoln, Thomas Newman for Skyfall

My Guess: Mychael Danna for Life of Pi

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:

Nominees: Amour, War Witch, No, A Royal Affair, Kon-Tiki

My Guess: Amour

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

Nominees: Brave, Frakenweenie, ParaNorman, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, Wreck-it Ralph

My Guess: Brave seems to have this one wrapped up. I could be surprised though.


I'm not including some of the 'minor' awards like sound editing and cinematography. I feel like those could go to anyone.

I will pick one that I feel deserves special mention:
If "Life of Pi" doesn't win BEST VISUAL EFFECTS, something's wrong.



2 comments:

  1. I must comment on why I agree with you on Best Animated Feature Film, seeing as I'm unsure if you've seen them all:

    First off, most people haven't seen them all... Except for me it seems.
    -ParaNorman was cute. Unlikely I'll ever want to watch it again, but it was a nice child Halloween movie.
    -Frankenweenie: See ParaNorman.
    -The Pirates! Band of Misfits: I much preferred the original title of "The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!". It cracks me up. I REALLY liked this film. It was so good and I laughed lots. Although "Best Animated Feature Film" doesn't necessarily means children's film... Let's be honest. The issue with this film was that children probably didn't understand most of the jokes. There were plenty of stupidity moments, but still. The subplot is Darwin's quest for love. Yes, the evolution guy.
    -Wreck-It Ralph: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but I think I was the only one when I saw it. There are so many references that children won't catch just because most of them have never played arcade games enough, or recognized the Skrillex cameo. Just various things like that I don't think a lot of people recognize. Nostalgia movie!

    Now the winner of course:
    Brave: Pixar family movie. It was about a mother/ daughter relationship and that version of true love. With Princess and the Frog and Tangled, Disney's slowly been having their princesses have other goals in life other than men, but it was nice to just see a complete separation. Plus there's the attitude of whatever Pixar makes, people will watch it. I know that's how it is with me. They had their lovely mixture of silliness for children and comedy that adults don't find stupid, and the good feeling that we all learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all of them I've seen Brave and The Pirates! which I really didn't care for. I chose Brave to win because it won the Golden Globe and the BAFTA but I've read several critics saying that they think Wreck-it Ralph is going to win. We shall see, I'll have to see the rest of these movies. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete