And the Oscar goes to...

















"Welcome to the Oscars" said Seth MacFarlane, quickly making a quip about hopefully making Tommy Lee Jones laugh. At first, there was a nervous tension with the host. Will he be good? Will he drop the ball? MacFarlane was a great Oscar host, tip-toeing the line of acceptable many times. Starting off he was greeted by William Shatner as Kirk from Star Trek who helped guide him into being a good host. This contained many gags and skits that were pretty funny, including a sock puppet rendition of "Flight". Chris Brown and Rihanna jokes were made as well as a hilarious jab at Abraham Lincoln. But then, the singing started: tributes were made to the musicals made in the last decade so Catherine-Zeta Jones came out and sang "All That Jazz" and then Jennifer Hudson belted out "And I Am Telling You" and then the cast of Les Miserables sang "Suddenly" and "One Day More". After that there was a section honoring James Bond movies. Adele sang and Norah Jones sang and then the cast of "Chicago" presented awards which became the recipient of another MacFarlane joke. All-in-all I think he did a great job.
Now, as far as the actual awards go, I have to say that I'm surprised that I got almost all of them right.
The evening started out with Christoph Waltz grabbing his second Oscar and me screaming like a fan girl. I felt like he deserved it. (On a separate note, I would have liked to have seen Javier Bardem and Michael Fassbender be in this category for "Skyfall" and "Prometheus".)
Best Supporting Actress went to Anne Hathaway....who's surprised?
But the most interesting part was the music to go along with the ceremony. Usually, when winners have their speeches go too long, soft music plays and then builds and builds until they have to stop talking. Rude, but eloquent. I'm not sure if it was MacFarlane's suggestion or something else, but the iconic "Jaws" music quickly overpowered the winners whose speeches were too long. It started when "Life of Pi"'s special effects team won, and the acceptor wouldn't stop talking. As the "Jaws" music overtook him, there was a sense of "is this really happening?" It was brash and unapologetic, much like the host.
"Brave" won animated film. It was accepted by the director wearing a kilt.
Foreign film went to "Amour".
Original Song went to Adele for "Skyfall" and Original Score went to Mychael Danna for "Life of Pi".
There was a tie in sound editing, which was very interesting. Between "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Skyfall".
Best Adapted Screenplay went to Chris Terrio for "Argo"—one that I guessed incorrectly.
Tarantino won for "Django Unchained" as did Ang Lee for "Life of Pi", a well deserved win. I had a feeling that Lee would win, because the Academy appreciates the ingenuity it took to turn Yann Martel's book into a movie.
Jennifer Lawrence won for "Silver Linings Playbook" and on her way to the podium she tripped and fell. After receiving the award the audience gave her a standing ovation, "Stop it," she said, "I know you're only standing because I fell and you feel sorry for me." Recovering quickly she didn't appear phased by her tumble.
Daniel Day-Lewis won his third Best Leading Oscar becoming the first man to have three.
"Argo" won Best Picture and then it was all over.
MacFarlane was joined by Kristin Chenoweth in singing a song to all the losers. Now I have to wait another whole year. *Sigh*
So how did I do as far as predictions go? I missed one—Adapted Screenplay. Not too bad, I feel.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great review of the Academy Awards as I was unable to see, shocked Argo won best movie as others were on the line to take it away... for example, "Lincoln" though haven't seen it yet, I still think it should have gotten an Oscar. Oh well, c'est la vie... till next year.

    ReplyDelete